1008 Lingam Shiva temple is a very popular Lord Shiva temple in the city of Salem. During the official visit to Vinayaka Mission University, I saw this temple. At that time I don’t know about this temple but when I saw this Shiv temple I decide to visit it and found that it is very popular in the local area and also in the city. This Shiv temple has a total of 1008 Shiv Lings that why it is also popular as the 1008 Lingam temple. You will see in the temple each Shivling with a holy cow Nandi. This Shiv temple looks very beautiful from the road of the national highway.
|1008 Shiva Temple near Vinayaka Mission University Salem|
Hindu God Shiva has a thousand names mentioned in the Shiv Sahastranamavali. On the basis of this, this temple has 1008 Shiv Lingam. Each Shiv lingam dedicated to each name of Lord Shiv. There is a huge Shiv Ling about 17-18 feet. 1008 Shiv Lingam temple is actually established on a small hill so you have to go upwards like climbing on this small hill to see the main temple. As you can see the symbol of Vinayaka Mission University there is a Lord Ganesh image is there. So at the starting of 1008 Shiv Lingam temple, there is a huge statue of Lord Ganesha with the temple.
- Lord Ganesha Temple
- Lord Ayyapa Temple
- Lord Venkateshwara Temple
- Lord Anjaneya Temple
- Lord Murugan Temple
- Lord Ram, Laxman, and Goddess Sita Temple
- Lord Bhairav Temple
- Goddess Mahalakshmi Temple
|The main campus of the 1008 Shiva temple|
There are many priests in each temple of 1008 Lingam Shiva temple who follows the daily routine of the religious activities in the temple like worship, Arti, offering food to God, etc. Temple is very well decorated during any Hindu festivals like Mahashivratri, Hanuman Jayanti, etc. Various functions and activities also organized in this temple. After entering this temple you feel divine and get blessed by various gods in the temple. At the time when I visited there is not so much crowd. So I visited the temple very easily and visited everywhere in the temple.
1008 Shiva Temple of Salem History
It was a very good coincidence when I visited this temple at that time this temple building construction was undergoing. I visited this Shiv temple in 2010 year’s end. After that, I did not get a chance to visit this temple again. This temple construction was done by the Vinayaka Mission University. It is not a commercial temple it is run under the Vinayaka Mission University. There is a separate department in the Vinayaka Mission University that deals with the management and maintenance of the 1008 Lingam temple. I did not hear any mythological story about this temple so I can’t say it is a very old or historical temple.
|A temple inside the 1008 Shiva Lingam temple|
1008 Shiva Temple Salem Timings
This beautiful 1008 Lingam temple opens daily for the devotees. So you can easily visit the temple any time and get blessed by Lord Shiva. If you want to see the full temple then the maximum time will be for this temple is 2-3 hours.
Temple Opening Time
Morning: 05:00 am to 12:00 pm
Evening: 04:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Temple Closing Time
Afternoon: 12:00 pm to 04:00 pm
Best Time to Visit 1008 Shiva Temple Salem
Facilities at 1008 Shiva Temple Salem
- Shiva temple is well maintained by the Vinayaka Mission University. Temple is clean and all basic facilities are available in the temple.
- There is no parking stand for parking two and four-wheelers. But you can park your vehicle in an open space near the temple at your risk.
- The washroom facility is there and in good condition.
- There are food stalls in front of the temple where you can take snacks and lunch also.
- There are no shoes or slipper stand so you have to keep with you until you reach the main temple.
- There is a drinking water facility but not much. So keep water with you.
- There is a small shop in Prasad where you can purchase normal worship items. But you want to offer more things then you have not much choice to offer many things in the temple.
How to Reach 1008 Shiva Temple Salem
Address of 1008 Shiva Temple Salem
1008 Lingam Temple
Srinagar – Kanyakumari Hwy
- I will recommend if you go to Salem then you can visit this 1008 Shiva Temple Salem. It is a good place for one time visit.
- Tamilnadu is a very hot state then you can avoid the summer season and you can choose October to February month for visiting the Salem city tourist places.
- Photography is allowed outside the main temple.
- I will recommend visiting Salem city in February or March (Masi month of Tamilnadu). In Salem city, they celebrate their annual function on full moon day every year.